So I tried to get L to "help" me in the yard the other day by showing her how to pull out the little tree shoots that sprout up all over the flowerbeds every spring. There are thousands of these bad boys and staying on top of weeding them all out each week consumes hours of my life. Training an apprentice to assist me in this task seemed logical. She pulled out the first 5 or so with delight, while I shrieked and laid on a super-thick coat of praise and "good-jobs" to encourage her. I had fantasies of her puttering around the yard with me all afternoon, happily working side-by-side with me until we had pulled out the thousands of rogue saplings from our garden.
Alas, L's attention span was kaput as soon as she spotted her container of goldfish crackers on the picnic table, and she spent the rest of the afternoon running back and forth on the cobblestone shoving crackers in her mouth, while I finished the weeding solo.
Maybe next year.













No comments:
Post a Comment