Monday, February 6, 2012

I've clearly lost it.

I made Layla a rice "sensory bin" as a surprise when she wakes up from nap today.  These things are all over blogland, as well as Montessori schools and preschools and are supposed to be great for exploratory play and sensory development.  It's basically a large tupperware filled with about 20 cups of rice and dozens of other small objects and junk from the dollar store.  This is either the most brilliant idea ever, or a total nightmare disaster-mess!  Let's hope I don't spend the evening cleaning rice out of our rugs and floor vents!  I themed it for Valentine's Day, as part of my week-long plan of holiday-themed activities and crafts for us to do together.  Each day until V-Day, she will get a valentine from me in her "mailbox" along with a note for the activity I plan for us to do that day. 


In the bin:
2 large bags of white rice
Valentines color pom-poms
Silicone spiky ball pom-poms
Silicone muffin cups in valentines colors
Heart-shaped LED tea-light candles
Heart-shaped foam cutouts
Pink and red plastic crystals
Silk roses
Plastic heart containers

Various measuring cups, spoons, scoops, and funnels for exploring the objects in the bin



Sounds like naptime is over now.  Here we go...

If this goes well, I plan to switch out all the crap in the rice bin in a few weeks and do another theme, maybe spring or St. Pats Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker