Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Beginning Potty Training

L has been giving me some cues over the last month or so that she might be receptive to the idea of using a potty, so we decided to run with it and give potty training a full-on, concentrated effort to guage whether she is ready.  Some friends of mine have had success with their children that are between the 18mos--24mos age range, so we figured it can't hurt to try.

We picked out a pack of colorful underwear from Target, which we have been talking about for a week now and she is really excited about.


Today is the first day we decided to really introduce toilet training.  Here's how we're doing so far:

Poopy/Wet diaper upon waking up
4 potty pee pees
3 backyard pee pees wearing underwear (saying "Mommy, Wet!" while she is going)
1 wet diaper after morning stroller jog
1 kitchen floor tinkle
wearing a diaper for naptime

I am thrilled so far with her receptiveness this morning!  I know toilet training is a process that can take months or years for some kids, and I had absolutely zero expectations for today.  She has been playing on her potty for months, but would never sit still long enough to do anything.  Also, being able to understand when she is wet is a HUGE breakthrough, as she never seemed to notice or care when she had a wet diaper.  I know this is going to take a lot of time, consistency, and reinforcement (especially since she has been going to the bathroom every 15 minutes this morning!), but fortunately I have all the time in the world for her now.

Hopefully, I am still feeling this optimism after a few more days of working with her--I'll update later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker