Sunday, July 3, 2011

$15 Challenge - May 29 to June 5

I can still sew!

My awesome friends Lin & Xian surprised me with a sewing machine for Christmas.  Seriously, what a fabulous surprise...I was blown away since I've been wanting to give sewing a try again for quite awhile now in an attempt to cure my additction to etsy and all of the cute handmade deliciousness that is being sewn by those way more talented than I.

I had been lacking in time and inspiration, that is, until I happened to discover at the beginning of June that a JoAnn fabrics near our house was closing and had just put all of their patterns on clearance 4 for $1.00!  Um, I went a little hog wild.  I spent my whole $15 of fun money over several trips throughout the week and picked up just shy of 60 patterns, many of which were for Layla.
For my first project, I picked out a little smock dress, labeled "easy".  A few more trips to the fabric store, and I had my fabric and all my pieces.  Mom came over for a couple afternoons and we had sewing school while Layla napped (since I think the last time I used a machine for anything complicated was middle school, and I needed a refresher).

So here is the end product.  I am rather pleased with myself.  It was "easy", however very time-consuming.  I did it to myself as I went a wee bit nuts with all the custom applique and embroidery.  It was inspired by Layla's love of apples.  It is cute for summer, and it is big enough that I think it will be just darling for fall with tights and a long-sleeved tee underneath.

I had so much fun, I am already working on my next project!



The dress inspired a picnic in the park earlier this week with my model.  Things were going well until she dumped guava juice all down the front of the dress.  I am relieved that it all came out in the wash!






















1 comment:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker